Friday, December 23, 2011

Dabblin', Hireland


This semester has been ounce for ounce one of the more interesting periods of my life. To think of how we juggled so many deadlines around while simultaneously maintaining our sanity... I think I still have nightmares about allnighters. 

The first half of second year is like this series of hills. It's got a respectable number of highs, but an unsettling number of lows. Nestled behind all achievements are immense valleys that I seem to have spent the lion's share of my time in. In regards to actually performing the namesake of this program, I don't actually have anything presentable. Animation is one of those things that I sincerely feel like I've dropped the ball on this semester. Due to my phenomenally poor time management abilities and delusional goals (and and then, he's gonna like, summon a meteor, and we'll have this slow mo scene of the meteor cresting through the clouds, and then we'll have this cool 3d perspective shot of him casting a spell and IT'LL BE AWESOME), I haven't been able to fulfill any of my animation propositions this semester. At any rate, I'm hoping to devote some of my winter break trying to clean up the salvageable ones, in the hopes that they might become presentable later on.

The greatest gains I've made this semester aren't really academic (HA!), or even artistic. Hell, I'm lucky to be passing some my classes at all, what with some of the embarrassing crap I've been producing. Still, I've learned a great deal more about the state of my future professions, and my potential place in those industries. I've learned from friends on how they plan to focus their talents, and I've learned from instructors about the complexity of plying an artistic trade. Honestly, I think the greatest value we get from Sheridan is the atmosphere of mutual exchange, or the opportunity to toss around ideas and aspirations with like minded people. Maybe it's something about those allnighters, but they really get people into a philosophical mood. I truly felt like my perspective on life has benefited from those exchanges. Hopefully, all these nuggets of wisdom I've managed to scrounge will coalesce into something resembling a clear focus, which might eventually dictate what I should devote my time to. Until then though, it's simply an exciting journey.





I've been working on this for a while. It feels like I'm trying to realize these cool light effects, but not doing any of them right, which is frustrating.The thing above is the final painting plus the initial sketch. I really need to actually study Egyptian aesthetics before I try this again, cause the generic designs are getting tiring to look at. 



AND a 30 min thumbnail (that's pushing "thumbnail" a little, I think. Maybe a speed paint?). You may ask, "why, that's just a black box with a white highlight on the lower left"! Well, you're not wrong. I plan on making it not a black box later. Or maybe just a very highly rendered black box. I just wanted to do something in light of the cancellation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and the closure of GSC. At least we'll always have the 100 Rads.


I apologize in advance for the next few images. They depict people. Perhaps poorly. Remember folks, every time you press a lawsuit, a kitten is put to work in a factory with LOWER THAN MINIMUM WAGE!



People around the studio. I could always push things more, and I don't always catch my significant structure problems and design problems, but now I know. Thanks Pete! 
















DQ's chalk talks have ended up being one of the most valuable resources this year, and I think I've learned more about the intricacies of story telling and the "Industry" than I ever realized existed. So obviously, I'm uneasy about drawing him in such an unceremonious way. The Iron Lady though, not so much.




Here's one of my painting thumbnails for my storyboard assignment (the only one I dare show people, at any rate), which is about a shark. I understand that its drawn like a 3rd grader's first time with a colored pencil, one of those things I'm trying to do is develop a simpler, more efficient style for quick drawings.

























I put up the Leica Reel too, just to round out the assignment. It is actually the first fully timed piece of production I've ever made, and despite the timing inconsistencies, the whole process gives off this sense of accomplishment. A more cohesive soundtrack would have helped it time better, and not using two licensed tracks might help it not be taken down within the hour. On the other hand, I don't think I'll ever get another chance to mesh the Jaws Theme and the 1812 Overture, so there's that. Truly, it's a learning experience.


Oh, and here's my Christmas card.

There are things we draw out of frustration with life, which do not reflect our true feelings towards, say, a particular species of animal. When I did this, we were going for the most repulsive thing possible. I should have added more maggots.


Seriously though, it's not for everyone 


Happy Holidays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment